I gave up on Windows 10 Mobile (for now)... for Android

The last time I have used an Android device as my main phone was all the way back in 2013, a Samsung Galaxy Young II. The sluggish interface and poor optimization made me choose a Windows Phone, the Lumia 625, 6 months later. Ever since I stayed on the platform, loving the original Start menu concept, the overall responsiveness, the impressive camera hardware packed in those Nokia (later Microsoft) handsets.

Windows 10 Mobile was, for Microsoft (and for me, because of the new user experience) a huge step forward. Back in 2015, when it was just released, I was still holding on to that Lumia 625 (compatible with the initial release of W10M), which I would swap soon after for a Lumia 640. The unfinished nature of the operating system showed me it was rushed to the market with little regard to user experience, but Microsoft promised fixes and improvements with the Anniversary Update. Those eventually came through and as soon as I noticed them, I upgraded my phone again, this time to a Lumia 950. An amazing phone, although at the beginning full of bugs and other unwanted glitches. Most of those got polished out after some time and I could brag my friends who had Galaxy S6s and iPhone 6Ss about my clearly superior camera... until they started fighting back, highlighting the so-called "app-gap".
I don't need that many apps and couldn't care less about all social media apps that are unavailable on Windows Mobile, but the Store is missing other important programs too, like  f*ckin' Facebook (& Facebook Messenger), games, emulators, etc. On top of that, the Creators Update failed to change much in terms of system performance & stability: my Camera app lost the ability to record any type of video, the Vector Watch app lost all little functionality it had due to the addition of GATT on W10M, certain apps stopped running.

Ultimately, Microsoft's lack of interest in the platform killed it for me. I am aware of the whole "re-entrenchment" and "ahead of the curve idea", but what about the present? Should every single Windows Phone owner hold on to aging, breaking devices until they think the right time has come?

Which is why I switched back to Android, to be more specific, to a Moto Z Droid (a review is coming soon). Now don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Microsoft here. I would gladly migrate back to the platform, once it works properly and a clear strategy is outlined. I need my devices to work properly and be unique in a way and for now, I can't wait for Microsoft to fix something they say will be fixed but instead, they break.
But for now, Android is the way to go for me... and boooooooiiiii does it feel different. Mature. Snappy. The way Windows 10 Mobile could have been.

Comments